Thursday, June 16, 2011

O Beauty Ever Ancient and So New

  4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.
Revelation 2:4-5  (NIV)
St.Augustine's beautiful Prayer

Late have I loved you,
O Beauty ever ancient and so new,
Too late have I loved you!

You were within me, but I was outside to seek you. 

Unlovely myself, I fell heedlessly upon all those lovely things which you created.

And always You were with me, but I was not with you.
Created things kept me from you;
yet if they had not been in you they would not have been at all.

You called, you cried,you broke through my deafness.
You blazed, you gleamed, and you drove away my blindness.
You breathed your fragrance on me;
I drew in breath and now I long for you.

I have tasted, now I hunger and thirst for more.
You touched me, and now I burn with desire for your peace.

Amen

~ from 'Confessions of St. Augustine'

(http://www.gloriana.nu/mystic.html)

http://newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/2011/05/death-of-st-monica-and-filial-love-of.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment